The Forest and Outdoor Learning Awards offer a learner centred approach to developing the skills and understanding to work sustainably in forest and outdoor environments.
They have been developed for the Scottish educational context, but have been designed to apply to all forest and outdoor situations. The awards are credit-rated to SCQF levels that are recognised internationally.
At their heart the awards help people learn about how to be in forest and outdoor environments in sustainable ways. The awards are grounded in the ethos of ‘Forest School’ that places the human within the natural environment and supports active and person centred approaches to learning.
They will contribute to the Curriculum for Excellence and the Attainment Challenge in Scotland. The awards seek to support the development skills for Learning, Life and Work to meet the complex demands of a globalised society.
The awards are offered at SCQF levels 2-6 & level 8 and have been developed in consultation with a range of partners including: Local Authorities, colleges, schools, the Forest School Association (FSA), Forest School trainers, the Forestry Commission and outdoor learning leaders.
The Awards are an innovation in Scotland as they:
- Offer qualifications at SCQF levels 2-6 & 8
- Support Curriculum for Excellence
- Develop clear progression routes to further study and employment
- Meet the requirements of the current Forest School Leader system for the Scottish educational context
- Incorporate a robust Recognition of Prior Learning Policy to accredit a wide range of experienced educators
Please contact us to discuss delivery of the Forest Skills Awards at SCQF levels 2-4.