With support from the Gaelic Language Act Implementation Fund (GLAIF), Newbattle has been celebrating and promoting Gaelic language and culture for several years. See below for more details about what we have been doing.
Gill Turner is a consultant at Newbattle Abbey College. Our contract with Gill is that she develop the College’s Gaelic language and cultural programmes. Gill is a Gaelic learner.
Gaelic Language Classes
Newbattle Abbey College runs Gaelic classes for staff and students at the College and for adult learners in Edinburgh. These include beginners and post-beginners classes. Please get in touch if you would like to find out when the next set of classes is due to begin in Edinburgh. Contact us by telephone – Gill Turner/Donna Mackie on 0131 663 1921 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Read more information about our Gaelic classes and activities:
- Improvers Gaelic
- Residential Gaelic Weekends for all levels of learners – a chance to improve your Gaelic and meet other learners. The weekends are packed full of activities to improve and develop your Gaelic. The activities include storytelling, outdoor activities, song and dance. The next Gaelic weekend is on 9th and 10th March 2019. This is a free event funded by GLAIF. Please see our News section for more details.
Development of Celtic Studies courses
The college has developed:
- National Certificate (NC) in Celtic Studies @ SCQF Level 6
- Celtic Studies Access to HE (SWAP) @ SCQF Level 6
Both courses were developed in partnership with Sabhal Mòr Ostaig. Gaelic language and culture feature prominently in this course. It commenced in September 2014. See website for more information.
The college is an active member of the following Gaelic networks:
- City of Edinburgh Council Gaelic Language Implementation Group
- National Gaelic Language Strategy Group
- Gaelic Local Authority Network